Saturday, January 16, 2021

The "Legendary" Idlewild, Michigan




Postcard from the collection of Sandra Williams Bush


I have fond memories of Idlewild, Michigan where my grandparents, Richard and Anna Davenport, owned and operated the Golden Hor-Shoe Motor Court. It wasn't until well into my adulthood that I learned that Idlewild was legendary as a vacation destination for African Americans.

I remember making the long drive with my grandfather at the wheel of his station wagon with the wood on the side.  The car would be packed to overflowing with food to eat along the way, food to hold us a few days when we got to our destination, some clean linens, and supplies. We made the trip from Buffalo, New York. Popoo didn't stay the entire summer because he had to get back to work at Bethlehem Steel. However, Deety did stay the whole summer, along with Auntie Joan (my father's sister).

While Idlewild was heralded as a summer resort, there were people who lived there year-round. In particular, I remember Sister Young who would drive us into the town of Baldwin to the laundromat, post office and other necessary errands after Popoo went back to Buffalo. 

My fractured memories include maintaining a worm "garden" with Deety, who was an avid fisherwoman, helping Auntie Joan change the linens and clean the guest rooms, hanging out with Miss Smith, the teacher from Cleveland who had a cottage next door, going to church with Sister Young -- but mainly playing in the sand and in the water's edge.

Deety made transition April 1970 and when Popoo made transition less than two years later, the property was lost -- unfortunately neither of them had a will.

Historically, Idlewild was a vacation haven for African Americans when we were not allowed in "mainstream" hotels and other resorts. I didn't know any of the history when I spent time there -- for me it was about the fun of being doted on by my grandparents and aunt.





Books about Idlewild:

Black Eden: the Idlewild Community by Lewis Walker and Benjamin C. Wilson
Idlewild: the Rise, Decline, and Rebirth of a Unique African American Resort Town by Ronald J Stephens
Idlewild: the Black Eden of Michigan by Ronald J. Stephens

FYI --  the movie Idlewild was not about Idlewild, Michigan.






Copyright © 2020 by Sandra Williams Bush, Ancestor Callings: Georgia and Mississippi Roots. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment