Saturday, April 18, 2020

Research Log -- What Works For Me


I have had a question on a family relationship in the back of my head FOREVER. By using a Research Log, I'm finally heading in the direction to finding an answer.

Genealogy or family history research is more than names and dates. It's who is related to who? Why did a person/family relocate to a certain area? How did an historical event effect a family line? And so much more.

There have been way too many times I have looked at a record or got excited about a record only to realize that I've been down that road before. I need to get organized about my research!  Research logs are one way to organize.

Yes, there are many genealogy research logs out there but I just haven't been able to wrap my brain around them --  they are just too complicated for me.  Besides needing a more simplified approach, I need to somehow document what I already know, along with a "To Do" list to supplement my Research Question.  Since a Research Question is based on a speculation, family lore, what may already be known or found, etc. -- I need structure on where to go from there and a "To Do" to work on that question.

Based on the various Research Logs I have seen, I put together what works best for me. I was getting too frustrated with other logs and yet I knew I HAD to have something to guide me or I would continue to go around in circles with my research.


RESEARCH LOG for (Name)

RESEARCH QUESTION:  How is XX1 related to XX2 family

WHAT I KNOW:  XX1 is living with XX2 family as niece in a census, but has a different last name

TO DO:  
1. Start with that census record to find others with XX1 surname in the area
2. Look at previous census year to see if XX1 family and/or XX2 family are in same area
3. Try to find obituaries or death records that may list family connection



DATE
WHERE I SEARCHED
TASKS            
SOURCE
NOTES






















SUMMARY / WORKING CONCLUSION:




Copyright © 2020 by Sandra Williams Bush, Ancestor Callings: Georgia and Mississippi Roots. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment