Monday, March 18, 2019

Facebook and Genealogy




Just the other week I was looking for certain genealogy forms that I could fill out online (and save)  to make it easier to transcribe and track information that I found on a great-grandfather.

I went to my go-to sites: Cyndi's List (Charts & Forms),  National Archives (Charts and Forms) --  and of course, forms on Ancestry, and FamilySearch but didn't see exactly what I wanted. 

Yesterday the ancestors called out to me when someone from a Facebook group posted a link to free interactive research forms available on the St Louis Genealogical Society website.

Many people complain about the content they get on Facebook and I always tell them what they see on their FB page depends on what they "Friend", "Like" and "Join.

I happen to Like and Join a number of genealogy pages --  representing a variety of topics.     BGSAD - Buffalo Genealogical Society of the African Diaspora  is my local genealogy group.  We share a camaraderie and love of genealogy during our monthly meetings.  Even through many members have roots in various parts of the country, we are Buffalonians by birth, through migration or transplant.

While I don't attend meetings of WNYGS (Western New York Genealogical Society (WNYGS) Discussion Group), I do attend some of the seminars and workshops they sponsor.  Through my mother I'm only second generation born in Buffalo.  My father and none of his family members (his generation and above) were born in Buffalo. So I don't look for many Western New York records.

Most FaceBook genealogy groups are private and a few are even secret.  They vet those who request to join and monitor posts to make sure they are on track --  informative and respectful. For me, keeping up with all these groups and posts can be overwhelming at times but member posts are serious to the topic and very helpful.  I've loosely grouped the FaceBook groups I follow by topic:

GeneaBloggersTribe
We Are Genealogy Bloggers
African American Genealogy Blogging Circle

Technology for Genealogy
Generations Cafe
RootsMagic Users
Evernote Genealogists
Excel-ling Genealogists
Legacy User Group

Georgia Genealogy Network
Mississippi Genealogy Researchers
MISSISSIPPI Genealogy "Family Tree" and History Group

AfriGeneas African American Genealogy Community
Midwest African American Genealogy Institute (MAAGI)
I've Traced My Ancestor's Slaveholders
Our Black Ancestry
IAAM CFH (International African American Museum Center for Family History)
African-American Genealogy Forum
Genealogy of the United States Colored Troops

Genealogy! Just ask!
Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness - RAOGK USA
Genealogy Do-Over
The Organized Genealogist
Genealogy - Improving your searches
Genealogy
DearMYRTLE

AncestryDNA Matching
Ancestry DNA for Dummies
DNA Newbie
Gedmatch.com Discussion Group
GEDmatch.com User Group

Genealogy and Newspapers
Genealogy & Historical Databases

Ancestry.com
Ancestry Dot Com - Helping, Sharing, and Venting
FamilySearch
FamilySearch Indexing




Copyright © 2019 by Sandra Williams Bush, Ancestor Callings: Georgia and Mississippi Roots. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment