Friday, September 26, 2014

The bride wore pink - Evelyn Orthelia Brown

My parents, Willis Burkett WILLIAMS and Evelyn Orthelia BROWN were married on Friday, September 26, 1952.  The bride wore a dusty pink gown.  My Mom told that was the fashion at the time.  (Two months later her sister, Verlie BROWN, married Raymond T. WALTON in an ice blue wedding dress.)  The maid of honor was my Dad's sister, Joan WILLIAMS.  The best man was Auntie Joan's boyfriend Isiah.

I always loved my Mom's wedding dress and she gave it to me  (or I kidnapped it) when I was in high school.  I never dreamed about wearing it because (1) it was a size that I never was, and (2) and I never planned on getting married.  However, I did have dreams for the gown  --  I wanted to have a master suite with the gown as the focal point on a dressmaker form.

Neither my Mom nor I ever did anything to preserve her gown.  It's been on hangers from one house move to another.  At any rate I think it still looks good even through a bit wrinkled.  I showed my Mom this picture today  --  the anniversary date of her wedding anniversary  --  and she was surprised I still had the gown.


From the Buffalo Criterion newspaper:
Mr. and Mrs. Willis Williams are cutting their cake at their wedding reception at the home of Mr. Williams uncle and aunt, Mr. and Mrs. Richard Davenport, Friday, Sept. 26 following their wedding at 5 p. m. at the bride's home.  She is the former Evelyn O. Brown of 386 William St.  The couple spent the weekend in Detroit.












IMAGES:
Photograph. Isiah (?), Willis Burkett WILLIAMS, Evelyn BROWN,and  Joan WILLIAMS 26 September 1952. Buffalo, Erie, New York. Private collection of Evelyn Brown WILLIAMS, Buffalo, Erie, New York.

Photograph. Wedding dress of Evelyn Brown WILLIAMS. Private collection of Sandra Williams Bush, Buffalo, Erie, New York.

Article. The Buffalo Criterion

8 comments:

  1. This vintage garment is a treasure. Thanks for sharing..
    Saundra

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice that you have the gown. Funny, my daughters were never my gown's size either (maybe when they were ten).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I've moved to different residences, the gown is always with me. I'm especially happy to have it since pictures at the time were black & white.

      Delete
  3. Lovely story and a special dress! My aunt married in the early 50s and I believe her dress was a pale blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The dress has always been very special to me. One day I might look into wedding dress fashion of the 50s.

      Delete
  4. This is a lovely story. My mom's dress wasn't preserved either - it's been sitting in a cedar chest all these years. My parents were married in 1955, and her dress was a pale blue satin with a white lace overlay. You might be able to ease out the wrinkles with a handheld steamer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I've been hesitant to do anything about the wrinkles for fear of damaging the dress. Maybe I'll try a small patch in the back bottom area.

      Delete