Photo by Thomas McEntee
1. Setting Previous Research Aside
Setting aside my previous research is the easiest part of the Week 1 challenge. My research is so helter-skelter; I've gone from one software program to another hoping to make sense of it all. I also have family trees on Ancestry.com and Family Search. Unfortunately, I have varying numbers of people on each of my three trees and many with no documentation.
2. Preparing to Research
I will learn how to better use Legacy 8, my current software program. I will also learn how to use Evernote (that I downloaded over a year ago). Most importantly, I will use them to benefit my research.
3. Establishing Base Practices and Guideline
This aspect hit me the hardest because I find that I often "discover" information that I already have, so from this point on I will ONLY work with a research log. I will:
- establish a research plan
- document EVERYTHING, especially sources and including dead ends
- take my time and be thorough
- stick with my research plan and not be sidetracked
- establish a filing system